Skylight is primarily an online business management software and with that functions as a task management, time billing and online invoicing app for your business. Being able to perform so many operations means there are few things that you need to do to get the most out of your account on Skylight. In this chapter, we will discuss all the steps of how to set up the basic business account. Each section will take you through the initial setup of your business account on Skylight.
The essential steps to set up includes invoice headers, importing contacts, setting up accounting preferences and more. Please remember most of these are optional and you don't need to set up everything to start with Skylight. Once you log in, on your dashboard screen, click the optional Business setup process link as shown in the image above.
Alternatively, you can also hover the cursor on Settings on the navigation menu and select Company Settings. The settings screen will appear, click Setup ,initial settings also available at https://secure.skylightit.com/setup/business_details
This will take you to Skylight business setup section.
Setup: Business Details
The Setup section contains the main key areas in Skylight. An overview of these tabs is described below and further details provided in this manual and on Skylight Knowledge Base.
- Business Details This tab allows you to edit your business name, numbering, header and footer and tax preferences, and choose your working days.
- Headers and Footers This tab allows you to customize the headers and footers.
- Custom Fields This tab allows you to input custom fields for people, your company and projects.
- Companies This tab displays the list of all companies under your account; you can also manually add new ones or import them from a CSV file.
- People This tab displays the list of people from your contact list, be it clients, staff or suppliers.
- Resources This tab displays the list of all your resources, which can include rooms, equipment or abstract services.
- Roles- Here you find the roles that your staff usually fill, e.g. Junior Designer, Director, Consultant, etc.
- Tags This tab allows you to manage your tags and tag groups, which is helpful for filtering and matching projects intelligently.
- Chart of Accounts Account codes allow you to assign financial transactions to nominal ledger accounts, e.g. Sales, Cost of Goods Sold or Direct Expenses.
- Tax Rates This tab allows you to view and add tax rates, e.g. VAT in the UK.
- Rates Here you can view and add your standard fees for services.
Each section contains all the instructions on how to complete each step. Remember these are all optional steps and if you feel you need a hand in getting setup, Skylight team will be more then willing to give you a hand, just let us know here: http://help.skylightit.com/discussion/new.